Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Radio Moscow QSL

And now for something completely different!

Before the break-up of the Soviet Union it was almost impossible to get any information about the transmitter sites used by Radio Moscow. As noted above, Radio Moscow often used fake transmitter sites locations on many occasions in their schedules and QSLs. When QSLing Radio Moscow broadcasts, it was almost impossible to predict what site would be indicated on the card. This led at least one CADX member to desperation. Tom Ross, back in 1987 and 1988 vented his frustration, when he could not QSL the sites he needed by putting his thoughts into lyrics. Enclosed below are the results of his frustrations. They first appeared in DX Chicago in 1987 and 1988. Hope you enjoy them.

The Radio Moscow QSL Simferopol Site Blues
by Tommy "Juke Boy" Ross

Well I see my mailman comin’
Walkin’ up to my front door
With that "blue and white" envelope
Lord, you know I need one more

Well, I open up that envelope
And get ready for a surprise
But when I rip that sucker out
I can’t believe my eyes

I’ve been mailin’ cards for months
And I’ve really paid my dues
All I see is Simferopol
And I really got the blues

CHORUS: I’ve got the Radio Moscow

QSL Simferopol site blues
The UHN newsletter’s gone
And I don’t know what to do
I’ve even tried Joe Adamov

And the Moscow Mailbag crew
But nothin’ ever seems to work
To get that 25th site
No matter what I ever do

It never seems to be right
Well, I guess I’ll keep on tryin’
To nail that elusive one
But Simferopol keeps poppin’ up

I ain’t never gonna have no fun

CHORUS: I’ve got the Radio Moscow
QSL Simferopol site blues

© Same 2U Tunes, 1987

(reprinted from the December 1987 issue of DX Chicago)

Tula

(A DXer’s Ditty . . .)

by Thomas V. Ross

Well I heard me a signal from-a ol’ Moscow
Where they drink jet fuel and it don’t cost them lotsa moola.

EM-YOO-ELL-AY moola.

I fired a report off that very same day.
I was hopin’ for Georgia but she said "No way, boy it’s Tula."
TEE-Yoo-ELL-AY Tula. T-T-T-T-Tula.

Well I’m not dumb but I can’t understand
Why her name is Elena, but she writes like a man.
She gave me Tula.
She said "That’s the rule-a." T-T-T-T-Tula.

Well my Soviet sites stand at 24,
And I’d sell my sister just to get one more.
Elena burned me but I gotta try.
It’s listed as Georgia in the EDI-I-I!

Well I’m not the World’s most eloquent man,
But I’ll pour on the sugar and see if I change that Tula.
T-T-T-T-Tula. T-T-T-T-Tula.

I dropped her a line.
I prayed for a sign.
I begged for Tbilisi
I whined "Elena, please!"

And she wrote to me and said: "No, siree!"

That’s the way she said it’s going to stay.
"I always want you for my DX slave. You gotta Tula."
T-T-T-T-Tula

"Lvov ould be Kenga, Kiev’s Armavir.

Boy we’re the real masters of the Soviet sphere,
and this is true-la."
T-T-T-T-Tula

"Enclosed is a report form, love and kisses.

Continue to listen, E. Rogova (Mrs.)." Yes, it’s Tula
T-T-T-T-Tula. T-T-T-T-Tula.

Well my mama didn’t raise no panty-waist,

So I followed up again without any haste.
Elena dear sent this terse reply:
"Don’t push it boy, or you’ll get nothin’ but Havana,
Simferopol,and Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky till you’re
blue in the face. Dig?"

Well I’m not blunt, but I told here where
She could stash that 10th Derzhinski Square card from Tula.

T-T-T-T-Tula. T-T-T-T-Tula.

(chorus)

Tula. T-T-T-T-Tula. T-T-T-T-Tula. (etc.)

© Same 2U Tunes, 1988
(reprinted from the March 1988 issue of DX Chicago)

No comments:

Post a Comment